Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Kate's First Reconciliation






















Kate is in second grade in Catholic School and she and her classmates had their first reconciliation. Kate sat next to her best friend Isabelle during the short program. It was so beautiful! Then it was time for Kate and Isabelle to sit and wait their turn for their first confession with the priest. They were both nervous. They had been preparing all year in school on memorizing what they were going to say to the priest. They were excited and happy, too! All of a sudden it was Kate's turn to sit with Father Dallas, who was very sweet with Kate. He helped her feel at ease... he asked her questions... (some of which she gave answers that will require me to go to confession next! LOL)... and he gave her a penance and a blessing. It was all very beautiful and meaningful. She got up from her seat and went directly to the altar and kneeled just as she was instructed to do, and said her penance...which was to recite the Our Father and to ask Jesus to help her be more like his mother. Then, she turned around and immediatley looked for me. She was so proud of herself...she had a big smile and was very happy. She went to find her teacher to get her certificate and then she got a hug from her teacher. When she finally returned to me in the pew, she got a big hug and congratulations. She began to watch her best friend, Isabelle, as she sat with Father Dallas and said her first confession. She did an equally lovely job and Kate was proud of Isabelle. Then, Kate leaned over to me and said, "Hey Mama...now I am as fresh as a flower"! And I said, "Yes you are my love!" It was a great evening! As for Kate accidentally ratting me out, I have to do a better job saying grace before dinner, doing prayers at night, and not missing Mass on Sundays! Father Ross, here I come for my confession!! I need to be as fresh as a flower, too! Claire has about two more years to be a stinkweed if she so desires! LOL

May Christ and His Saints stand between you and harm.
Mary and her Son.
Patrick with his staff.
Martin with his mantle.
Brigid with her veil.
Michael with his shield.
And God over all with His strong right hand.

3 comments:

Cheri and Shane said...

Great job Kate! We're so proud of you! Love & Miss you!
Cheri, Shappy & Hope

Susan said...

I remember my first confession as well. I used to be so scared of the priest, but he was always quite sweet. Oh, to be as fresh as a flower again! Kate is such a wonderful girl!

ferrei8 said...

Great Kate we are very proud of you! You are a blessings to us!

Hugs,
Aunt Linda, Uncle Mike & Grandma Mavis